• Car Insurance Basics

    Insurance Coverage in plain English


    For: At-fault accidents

    Bodily Injury and Property Damage coverage are the limits on your policy that protects you in case of an accident. This pays for any medical bills incurred for the other driver and their passengers, up to your policy limits. It also pays for damage to the other person's vehicle or property, up to your policy limits.

    Uninsured Motorist

    For: Not-at-fault medical

    Uninsured Bodily Injury coverage is used when you get hit by an uninsured driver or a driver who doesn't have enough insurance. Your insurance will pay for any damages you have involving medical bills and even lost wages.

    Medical Payments

    For: Medical care after an accident

    Medical Payments coverage protects you for any medical costs you and your passengers receive, up to your policy limits. This is only used for you and you passengers and not the other party involved. Normal limits are enough to help with large health insurance deductibles, etc.


    For: Repairs to your vehicle

    Collision Coverage covers your vehicle if you hit, or get hit by another vehicle. You pay your chosen deductible to the repair shop after repairs are made, and your insurance company pays the rest.


    For: Other vehicle repairs

    Comprehensive coverage also known as "acts of God" coverage, protects your car when it is damaged by vandalism, glass damage, hail damage, flood, hit a dog, hit a deer, and other damages. Just like with collision, the insurance company will pay for all repairs after you have paid your set deducible.  

    Roadside Assistance

    For: Vehicle Breakdowns

    Roadside coverage gives you the peace of mind that you have someone to call 24/7, if your car breaks down due to mechanical issues, a flat tire, lock-out and even a dead battery. Using this service does not require a deductible.

    Rental Car

    For: Renting a car after accident

    Rental reimbursement coverage protects you when your car is being repaired due to a Collision or Comprehensive claim. This coverage will pay for a rental car while your car is in the shop, up to your policy limits.

    Loan Payoff

    For: Paying off car loans

    Loan Payoff coverage, also known as gap insurance, pays for the actual amount you owe your lender in the event of a total loss. Normally, this is only available on vehicles two years old or newer.

All Posts